Friday, October 23, 2015

Musings on One Month



As I ponder on this last month, I can't help but be filled with gratitude for the events that happened in our lives.  We have been blessed beyond measure.  Our adoption situation is nothing short of ideal.  From being able to adopt healthy, newborn twins to being present for their birth to our open adoption with their birth family and especially their amazing birth mother.  My highest hopes did not even go that far.  Hindsight is 20/20, and when I look back on the adoption situations that never worked out, it is easy to see now that the Lord had a better plan for us.  I really hope that I have gained some perspective and trust in the Lord from this experience.  I hold Millie and Brooke alone at night during their feedings, and I just want to cry from how beautiful they are.  I guess it still hasn't quite hit that they are mine forever, and I get the amazing opportunity to be their mom. 





Now to the girls.  The transition from 2 to 4 kids was much easier than I anticipated, and also much harder than I had anticipated.  I think the experience is easier because I am not recovering from months of bedrest/ tons of drugs/ gaining 60lb/ or a c section.  It is a perk of adopting that I am at my peak physical fitness and don't have any baby weight to lose- score!  Also, no raging hormones.  That's a plus.  Also, I'm much more laid back with these babies than with my other two.  The girls themselves haven't actually been much of a challenge at all.  They are very typical newborns- not even a big of colic!


Now the difficult part is having four kids under four.  With Millie and Brooke eating four times each night, and Hyrum and Lydia experiencing some serious regression in behavior, we have been in survival mode for a few weeks.  Most days it's all I can do to take a shower, and we have watched far too much TV, but I know that this is temporary.  Already the situation is getting.  Hyrum and Lydia seem to be getting used to their sisters, and their behavior has improved dramatically the last few days.  Also, Millie and Brooke are sleeping longer, so we are down to three feedings a night, which has made all the difference.  We even managed to get out of the house this week and go pick some pumpkins.  


The love and support felt from our friends and family is beyond anything I expected.  Countless gifts, dinners, babysitting so I can get a nap, and helping out at church (since I often am there alone-thank you, Air Force).  I promise I will get all those thank you notes out soon!  I have definitely have fallen behind.  



1 comment:

  1. You are amazing!! Your little family is such an inspiration. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete