Saturday, October 12, 2013

Hyrum Joseph Neary

 I was admitted to the hospital for the 6th and final time on September 27, at exactly 35 weeks.  The pattern was always the same.  I’d go to my appointment, have 4+ protein and really high blood pressures, they’d send me to the hospital, I’d be fine after 24 hours, then they’d send me home.  This time, however, my protein count had gone up to 6.5 grams (7 grams is complete kidney failure), and we were fast approaching the time when my body went to severe preeclampsia with Lydia.  Knowing my condition could change within hours, they decided to have me on full time monitoring at the hospital.  
Most of my day consisted of blood work, 24 hour urine labs, monitoring the baby constantly, getting steroids for his lungs, and trying to not die of boredom.  I felt like I was in a constant state of emergency.  Every morning it would be “well you’re getting worse, maybe we’ll deliver you tonight”. And every night it would be “well you’re getting worse, but we can push you off a day.  Maybe we’ll deliver you in the morning”.  It drove me crazy, but I was extremely grateful for every extra day that Hyrum was able to cook in there.
 Finally the morning of October 4th they decided to deliver me.  I had been on several blood pressure medications, which had been working great until the night before when my blood pressure was dangerously high despite the medication.  Also, my platelets were dropping.  They knew I’d go to severe preeclampsia within 24 hours, so we decided to deliver Hyrum that night at 36 weeks.  
Because of my last C-section experience, I was pretty fearful for what lay ahead, but a blessing and some calming techniques helped me get through all the needles and pain.  I walked into the OR, they numbed me up with a spinal block (which felt amazing my the way--100 million times better than an epidural).  Then they went to work getting little Hyrum out.  It actually took about 30 minutes to get him out because his head got stuck on my innards (that’s how the doctor described it).  They pushed and prodded for about 10 minutes before they finally got the vacuum and suctioned him out.  I didn’t even know a baby could get stuck in a c-section.  Hyrum Joseph Neary was born 5:32 pm on Friday, October 4th weighing 6 lbs 11 oz and measuring 19.5 inches.  I can’t imagine how big he would have been had he been full term.
 My recovering was nothing short of miraculous.  My blood pressure remained elevated for just a few hours after the delivery.  Last time it took about a week in the hospital for that to happen.  Hyrum suffered from low blood sugar and jaundice, and just barely managed to stay out of the NICU, but he pulled through as well!  The c-section experience was night and day compared to my last one.  I was up and walking within 12 hours, I’ve felt fabulous physically and emotionally, and now just a week later I am able to do things that took me about a month to do before.  The lord sure has blessed us!  
Hyrum is a very low-maintenance baby.  Because he is a preemie, he sleeps most of the day, and only wakes up to eat.  I’ve been able to get great sleep, only waking up every three hours to feed him for 30 minutes, and it’s allowed me to give Lydia lots of attention as well so she doesn’t feel quite to jealous.  Actually, she loves Hyrum.  She smiles and laughs whenever she holds him, and most of the time she doesn’t try to poke his eyes out.  He looks 100% like his father, and almost nothing like his sister.  You can barely even tell they are siblings.
 Overall life is really good right now.  The after baby hormones never really came.  I’ve been really happy and emotionally sane.  I hope it lasts!  I want to thank everyone who has helped us these last few weeks whether it be through babysitting, meals, gifts for Hyrum, visiting, or anything else.  Know that it has been appreciated!  I love being a mom of two and have felt more love this last week than I though possible in my little heart.  

1 comment:

  1. You are a BEAUTIFUL mom Melissa. I pray you will continue to enjoy this new adjustment period!

    ReplyDelete