Thursday afternoon brought another doctors appointment (like I’ve been having 2-3 times a week). It was a routine non-stress test and check up. Truthfully it was the first doctor’s appointment in a while that I was going to not feeling completely icky and sick, so I was positive everything was fine. I go in, they take my blood pressure, 140/90. I wasn’t worried because it had been that high many times before.
During the non-stress test they come to inform me that my protein level was at 4+. For those who don’t know what that means, it’s bad. I had been at 2+ for most of this pregnancy, which is already well into the danger zone. To have that double meant my body was not doing well. I was sent over to the perinatologist next door to run a few tests, and my blood pressure was at 150/100, high enough to be concerned. After checking out some things, they decided to send me to the hospital on a blood pressure medication and to do a 24 hour urine sample all while they were watching me to make sure I didn’t go into full pre-eclampsia mode. If I had been past 36 weeks they would have delivered me then and there, but since the baby still has a lot of growing to do, they were hoping to keep me at bay for a few more weeks.
Well miracle of miracles, everything worked exactly as it should, and I had low blood pressures for 24 hours straight along with okay labs (okay enough that I didn’t need to be monitored at the hospital anymore.) The blood work continues to get steadily worse, so they still are doing labs every 1-2 days. My protein levels have gone way up, but my kidneys haven’t failed completely and protein level alone is not enough to hospitalize me. For now I’m on super strict bed rest at home (I literally can only leave the bed to go to the bathroom and the occasional short shower). And I have to go in to the hospital again tomorrow to get yet more blood work done and some blood pressure monitoring. Hopefully it is just short term.
I am way more than ready for this pregnancy to be over. If it weren’t for the fact that I love my son much more than lots of needles, hospitals, and three months of bedrest, I would have begged them to deliver me yesterday. I am incredibly grateful that we have made it this far, and I know each day I make it is days less in the NICU for Hyrum. On the plus side, I have almost complete conquered my phobia of needles. Only 2-3 more weeks to go! Though honestly I’m extremely skeptical that I will make it another week the way things are going. Any bets on when he’ll make his debut? It’s between now and October 11th at the latest.
No comments:
Post a Comment