Friday, September 13, 2013

What would it be like to have a normal pregnancy?

Well we’re at 33 weeks, another milestone I didn’t think I’d make it to.  On Monday things started going bad again where my blood pressure shot up and I was having all the preeclampsia symptoms (headaches, nausea, swelling, etc…)  I had gained over a pound a day in between then and my last appointment—all fluid.  I went into the doctor and they ran a lot of labs again, but they all came back normal which doesn’t make any sense, but who can argue with blood?  My protein level in my urine has gone up to 1.2 grams, but they won’t deliver me on high protein alone until I’m above 5 grams, which is complete kidney failure.  
I was sent home on very strict bed rest and some more labs to do at home.  The next day I went in and I had lost 5 lbs overnight and my blood pressure had returned to normal for me.  Basically the prognosis was that modified bed rest was not working, but apparently strict bed rest was.  The doctor gave me an ultimatum.  I could go home on strict bed rest (only allowed to get up to go to the bathroom), or she would check me in to the hospital right then and force me to.  I obviously chose staying at home.  I hate hospitals.  
The problem is that I have a one year old at home who needs a lot more attention than a mom on strict bed rest can give, and my son needs the attention of a mom who doesn’t put his life in danger by getting out of bed.  We made the difficult decision to send Lydia to my mom’s house in Utah for a few weeks.  My mom is the other person in the world she is most familiar with, I want her to have a normal schedule and not be at a different stranger’s house every day, and I trust my mom more than just about anyone to make good decisions for my daughter if something should come up.  Lydia would be able to have the attention she needs and the love of my siblings.  It was just best for her.   She and my mom left this morning and I’m trying to stay positive (*sniff*).  In other news it’s national positive thinking day.  How appropriate.
 Right now the goal is 36 weeks, so I’m looking at another three weeks at least in bed.  The headaches and nausea are still very much present, so I feel very sick a lot of the time.  Luckily I can just sleep it off most of the day.  Besides that I’m just lonely.  Joseph’s been working 12 hour days, so I’m alone all day.  So far I’m through six of the nine books in the Work in the Glory series (highly recommend!), and on level 215 of candy crush (I’m actually ashamed to admit that one).  If absolutely anyone wants to come and visit, please do not hesitate.  A thirty minute conversation lifts my spirits so much.  The same invitation goes for skype dates.  I have a lot of time on my hands.
 I’m afraid I’m still a bit in the “woe is me” stage of this, but give it a day or two and I’ll be in the “come what may in love it” stage.   Only 21 days to go!  I keep remembering that his is all for my son who I love more than anything!  And truthfully the bed rest is working.  I went to my appointment yesterday and my blood pressure was at 120/80!  I haven’t been that low in months!  And I had lost another couple of pounds of fluid, haha.  If only I could do that after the pregnancy, right?  

No comments:

Post a Comment