So
we are coming up on our one year anniversary of being in the Air Force. I’ve realized I’m a very analytical
person, because I tend to analyze the good and the bad of whatever situation we
are in. This post will be no
exception. I won’t lie, when we
first began this military journey I had a lot of concerns about what would
happen. I had heard a lot of
things, good and bad, about life in the military and I guess I wasn’t sure what
to expect. Through these
experiences I’ve learned a few things:
11.) The
Air Force is by far the most family friendly military branch. They really work with your family and
your family’s needs.
22.) The
experience in the military is 100% what you make of it. I’ll be amazed how I and another person
will have similar experiences, but they feel like it was very negative, and I’ll
feel like it was very positive.
Turns out, we’re both right.
We get out of it what we think of it.
33.) The
Lord is very much in control of our circumstances though we may feel like
things are out of control. I have
found if I trust in him, I feel peace despite turmoil.
If the rest of our military career
is a lot like this first year, then we are staying in until he is a general,
haha. There are so many good
things about being in the Air Force!
(Now you have to get that this is from the perspective of a missileer’s
wife who has only been at two nice bases.
My experience may be vastly different than others.) First of all, there’s all the
benefits. In addition to the Air Force
paying for Joseph’s Bachelor’s degree, Master’s degree, and his basic pay, we
get a housing stipend, and a subsistence stipend. It really adds up to a lot! The Air Force is the reason we are debt free, and are able
to pay for adoption in cash.
Also,
we get health insurance. Now for a
lot of people, this is good, but for me, this is GREAT! I tend to be accident/bad health prone,
so I can use all the good coverage I can receive. Get this, my complicated pregnancy/Hyrum’s birth would have
cost $10,000 on our old insurance, and $50,000+ without insurance. We didn’t even see a bill! I also got to choose my own doctor, and
the hospital I delivered in was top notch! Thank goodness they’ve gotten rid of a lot of military
hospitals, haha.
We
chose to live on base here in Cheyenne, and it was a great decision! Because we didn’t feel financially
ready to buy a house, we wanted to rent, and renting here is so expensive! On base, we received a newly renovated
home, right across from the park, two minutes from Joseph’s work, that is at
least twice the size of anything we could have rent with our housing
stipend. We have so much room, I
don’t know quite what to do with it!
I
also was a bit nervous of the type of people I would meet in the military. Turns out there is a huge difference
between the single airman who are fresh out of high school (which previously
was the only military people I had met), and everyone else. I have yet to meet a family either here
or in California who wasn’t just an instant friend. I think it’s the military culture to think in terms of
instant friendship, because we don’t necessarily have long together. Instead of shying away since we were
only going to be in California for a few months, people did just the opposite. Here it has been the same result. I feel like I have some of the best
friends we have ever made here, and it’s only been three months! I can’t wait for three more years!
Joseph
also really likes what he is doing.
He basically makes sure that the nuclear missiles are safe and he’ll be
the one to launch them if it ever does come to that (thankfully no one has had
to really launch a nuclear missile since World War II). Really, it’s a lot of down time, so
Joseph has been working on his masters.
He does have to work 60-70 hours a week, but once you calculate in
sleeping and getting his masters, he actually is getting a really good deal. Joseph is also really good that making
sure when he’s home, he’s home.
Days off are strictly for family (and church), and I appreciate that so
much! He also was paired with a
really good commander, Zach. He is
incredibly hard-working, has a great reputation, very high moral standards, and
has really taken Joseph under his wing.
They will go far together. Oh and Joseph being out in the missile field counts as a deployment, so he won't have to go anywhere for the next few years at least!
Now
there are a lot of hard things about the Air Force. You really have to give up any semblance of control. The Air Force puts you where they want
you, when they want you there.
Good thing we like Cheyenne so much. Also, Joseph has a crazy-hectic schedule. Things are very fluid in the missile
field. Sometimes it works to our
advantage, but more often than not, it doesn’t. Sometimes he can be called out on alert when he is supposed
to have a day off, and he usually won’t find out about it until the night
before, or even the day of. Also,
sometimes (especially if the kids are sick, or teething, or any of plethora of
kid-related issues), it would be nice to have Joseph home instead of being with
them straight for 36 hours. But I
know I have it a lot better than many of our friends who’s husbands are out for
4-5 days straight. I’m learning a
lot about myself, and learning to let go of the things that aren’t important while
he is gone. I’ll appreciate the
lessons one day.
Overall,
this last year in the military has been great, and we’re seriously considering
it as a career now. We’ll see how
these next three go!
No comments:
Post a Comment