Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Fully Invested


Well guys, we did it!  Our adoption paperwork has officially been submitted!  It's all turned in with money and everything.  There's no turning back now!  Our home study is in May, and we should be approved for adoption by June.  Then it will probably be 2-3 years before we are chosen by a birthmother.  That's why we're jumping on getting this process done quickly!  

It's incredible what sort of things were needed to be approved for adoption.  First was the full background check.  It turns out I've lived in 14 different addresses since I turned 18.  Crazy!  Joseph had even more once you counted in his mission to Tennessee.  Luckily he has a top security clearance for the Air Force, so he was already cleared.  Also, I thought my getting-poked-by-needles-in-order-to-have-children days were behind me, but I was wrong.  We had to have full medical checks which included several shots and blood draws.  

Probably the most nerve-wracking part were the 100 questions we had to answer about ourselves that are going to be psycho-analyzed as part of our home study.  They included questions about all our relationships, biggest fears, interests, all sort of parenting and adoption questions, and everything in between.  Every time I would answer a question I would think "oh man, what are they going to think about this"?  I guess my biggest fear is I will find out I'm secretly a nut job who is unfit to parent.  It is unnerving to tell a complete stranger all your deepest thoughts.

Now we are almost to the hardest part of the adoption process: waiting.  If you run into anyone considering adoption, point them our way!

Getting Fingerprints for the FBI (Hence the red fingers)



So excited to have it done!



Can't you feel Hyrum's excitement?



And where was Lydia during all of this?  Most of the time, we worked on the application while she was napping.  That's her sleeping by her bedroom door with her favorite "Mr. Broccoli".  Sometimes she just does not want to stay in her toddler bed.


No comments:

Post a Comment