Well
it has been six months since I cut out refined sugars from my diet, and while
that’s only half of the year I was going for, I feel like it is long enough to
do a sort of “report” on my experiences with it. Sorry if it feels a bit like a science report. I guess I’ve never recovered from that “biochemistry
major” thing.
What I did:
So I cut out refined sugars. My guideline was not to eat anything with sugar in the first
three ingredients. I did eat fruit
and foods sweetened with honey.
Challenges:
·
I realized a few weeks in that I had a serious
sugar entitlement. I felt entitled
to having junk food on special occasions or when I had just gone through
something difficult or emotional.
My thinking had to change from “It’s Thanksgiving, I deserve some pie”
to “It’s Thanksgiving, no reason to treat my body badly”. I was very proud of myself for not
eating any sugar on holidays, or emotional days (like when we found out we
couldn’t have any more children).
Sugar: 0 Melissa 1
·
I also had to get over making people feel bad
when I didn’t eat sugar. Either
they went out of their way to make me a delicious dessert, and I couldn’t eat
it. Or, they would feel guilt
because I wasn’t eating sugar, and they felt like they shouldn’t be eating it
either. I’m sorry if I have ever
offended anyone! Sometimes I felt
a bit left out, especially when it was an event that revolved around dessert or
sweets. I just had to get over it!
·
Last, sugar is in everything! Our salsa, bread,
tortillas, dressing, etc… all had sugar in the top three ingredients! I had to start making a lot of things
from scratch, and most importantly, reading labels very carefully. I learned all the words for sugar and
sugar substitutes (there are a few dozen) and I feel like an expert in reading
labels now, haha.
The Good:
·
I lost over 50 pounds! Not eating sugar really helped me stick with a healthy diet
overall. Without sugar, I wouldn’t
binge. I was able to find other
ways to express and deal with my emotions, and it shows!
·
I also have INCREDIBLE energy. I literally have not had this much
energy in my life! It used to be
that I would be tired all the time, have to take a nap almost every day, and I
really was only productive about every other day or every few days. Now I can get up at 6, go, go, go
throughout the day, take care of two kids under 2, and get up 2—3 times at
night without a nap! I wish I had
known this all sooner! If I knew
how good I would feel now, I would have cut sugar out years ago.
·
Funny enough, my discipline overall has also
increased. Being so disciplined in
eating has poured over into the physical, spiritual, and emotional discipline
as well. I can control my anger
and emotions better, I’m a much more patient and laid back mother, I have
master over my body, and I just feel really in control overall.
·
I also don’t feel sick all the time! I used to have stomachaches, nausea,
headaches, joint pains, all sorts of stuff almost constantly! It was normal for me to wake up feeling
sick, and go to bed feeling the same way!
Now I don’t ever get sick,
I haven’t had joint pain in months, and this past week when everyone got
the flu, including Joseph who never gets sick, guess who didn’t? Even when I was around them 24/7 and
cleaning up all that throw up, I didn’t even get a stomachache. I attribute it to my healthier immune
system!
·
My skin has never been clearer. I wish I knew as a teenager how much my
acne was dependent on my diet. I wouldn’t
have suffered through it all those years!
Joseph and I are going on a pioneer trek this summer, and I realized I
wasn’t even self-conscious about not wearing make up for three days. It feels good.
·
Last, but not least, I have been the happiest I’ve
ever been. I didn’t realized the
connection between my diet and my mood, but it is so easy to be positive! I am able to handle emotional turmoil
and trials so much better now. Sugar
has literally affected every area of my life.
The Bad:
·
Now when all is said and done, cutting out sugar
did not change the fact that we are unable to have more children. That was a main reason why I started it
in the first place, and it didn’t work.
I was quite sad about that.
·
Also, my psoriasis has not completely disappeared. In years past when I cut out sugar for
even a week or two, it would completely clear up. I’m not entirely sure why it hasn’t this time, but I blame
hormones since my psoriasis always got so much worse when I was pregnant, and
my body still hasn’t returned to normal hormone levels after Hyrum’s birth.
I have become a huge advocate for cutting out refined
sugar. It has literally changed my
life in dozens of ways. I have never
felt better, been happier, or had so much energy. Please, please, please try it! Give it a few months; I promise you will not regret it! If you are looking for some magical
sign from the heavens to do it, consider this to be it! Here’s to another six great months!

Absolutely fantastic! I got some bad news today and my first reaction was to call Josh and to have him bring home ice cream. BUT I am on day number 2 of my "sugar free" journey and decided that I want this more than that. This post has reaffirmed that I can do this! Thank you, Melissa!
ReplyDeleteYou go girl! So amazing!! Isn't amazing what blessings we get from discipline! Thanks for being such a great example to me!! Love you!
ReplyDeleteYou are awesome Melissa! You look awesome and your family looks so happy! You are definitely a great example!
ReplyDeleteHey Melissa! I would really love to join you in cutting out refined sugars! I have read and retread this post so many times and I think my body is telling me I need to do it! My phone number is 480-370-7154. Can you text me so I can have your number? I just want to ask you some tips, see your recommendations, and moral support if I need it! Haha thanks girl! So proud of you :)
ReplyDelete